Grand Bay Parish

Stacks Image 400
Site Updates
Please refresh your browser to prevent functionality problems due to site updating.
Stacks Image 365
Add Background Images Here
Stacks Image 373
Stacks Image 375
Stacks Image 377
Stacks Image 379
Stacks Image 381
Stacks Image 383
Stacks Image 385
Stacks Image 387
Stacks Image 389
  • Parish Council Officers
    Co-Chair: Sam Keeping (Grand Bay)
    Treasurer: Doreen Dowding (Grand Bay)
    Secretary: Minnie Hilliard (Codroy)
    Synod Rep.(s): George Gillam (Grand Bay)
    Property: Ernest Dowding (Grand Bay)
  • St. Paul's Reps.
    Priest's Warden: George Gillam
    Peoples Warden: Samuel Keeping
    Treasurer: Mary Dowding
    Parish Rep: Brenda Anderson
  • St. John's Reps.
    Priest's Warden: Vernon Short
    Peoples Warden: Bob Anderson
    Treasurer: Jacklyn Stansbury
    Parish Rep: Joyce Janes
  • Holy Trinity's Reps.
    Priest's Warden: Jim Hilliard
    Peoples Warden: Shirley Fountain
    Treasurer: Arlene Samms
    Parish Rep: Minnie Hilliard
  • "For one who is indifferent, life itself is a prison. Any sense of community is external or, even worse, nonexistent. Thus, indifference means solitude. Those who are indifferent do not see others. They feel nothing for others and are unconcerned with what might happen to them. They are surrounded by a great emptiness. Filled by it, in fact. They are devoid of all hope as well as imagination. In other words, devoid of any future."
    Elie Wiesel (News and World Report)
Stacks Image 276

Hunger For Profit

Why do a billion people still live in poverty worldwide, and what can be done to change this? The series Why Poverty? uses documentary film to get people talking about this critical problem, its causes, and its solutions. These eight films are co-productions of ITVS and STEPS International, and are part of a global cross-media project aimed at raising awareness of poverty in North America and around the world.
Stacks Image 294
thex Created with Sketch.

The Parish of Grand Bay

Welcome to our website; today is a new and unique day in God’s creation. In practice of our faith as an imitation of Jesus Christ, we carry the obligation and are given the privilege of helping those in the world who struggle for basic human dignity and hope. And as John F. Kennedy once noted: If not us, who? If not now, when? Please feel free to send us a note on our contact page; we welcome your input and feedback. Thank you for visiting!

The Parish of Grand Bay is a three point parish located in the west end of Newfoundland; the three churches that make up the parish, is St. Paul's in Grand Bay, St. John the Evangelist in Cape Ray, and Holy Trinity in Codroy. Established in 1983, we are part of the Anglican Diocese of Western Newfoundland, a diverse community stretching from Rose Blanche, east to Springdale and north to St. Anthony.

Our understanding of discipleship follows Jesus as proclaiming the kingdom as present, and it is the praxis of making that kingdom. “Praxis becomes an expression of specific orthodoxy; it is a proof of orthodoxy and doxology.” Discipleship through the following of Jesus, integrates and crystallizes the two. Jesus resurrection made faith in Christ possible. By the same token however, a one-sided understanding of the resurrection made it possible for Christians to give in to the worst temptation facing the Christian faith. i.e., the temptation to forget that the Christ of faith is none other than the Jesus of Nazareth. Above all else the Cross should compel us and press us forward in our work toward liberation for all those who are bound by oppressive powers. On the other side of indifference and on the side of Christ in praxis, it becomes possible for a transformation of the world towards a new hope in the present Kingdom of a living and loving God.

"But for us, Jesus is the one against whom we would measure any other reported experience through all the centuries ahead, as to any other human life, or as to life on any planet. This is enough for us. God so revealed would be enough for anyone, anywhere, in any world." Bishop James A. Pike (1913-1969)

The mission of the Anglican Diocese of Western Newfoundland is to worship and serve God by following Christ, using and sharing the gifts of the Holy Spirit. 1 Peter: 2.5 says: “like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” We are living and moving by the grace of God and so we entrust this ministry to God that we will be guided by the Holy Spirit to do the will of our Creator. (From the Diocese Mission and Strategic Plan)

Where we Live

Newfoundland was the location of a collision between the tectonic plates of the New and Old worlds, about 400 million years ago. This forced up some of the immense highlands in western Newfoundland, still seen in original glory around Gros Morne. Over the past 300 million years, the upheavals that created the Appalachian Mountain reach this far north. Repeated glacial scouring over the past two million years has resulted in various forms of glacial scarring and the province's typically rounded hilltops. The Island had Beotuk Indians, though they move inland to avoid European settles, and became extinct back in 1828. Dorset Eskimos settled in a number of locations along the coast, including at Cape Ray. While the plant life in Newfoundland is pretty similar to the Mainland's, only 14 species of mammals were able to cross the side waters around the island, and several of those are now extinct. Moose were only introduced to the province in 1904 and chipmunks in 1962.

Port aux Basques started as a fishing village in the 1500s, as were many other communities along the south and west coasts of the Island. Port aux Basques was the western end of the Newfoundland railway dating back to 1898. After the Trans-Canada Highway was built across the island, rail passenger service was replaced by bus service in 1968, and the rail system was shut down in 1988. The railways right of way has been converted to the T'Railway recreational pathway which forms the eastern-most portion of the Trans Canada Trail. A Marine Atlantic ferry terminal is located in the town which is the primary entry point onto the island of Newfoundland and the western terminus of the Trans-Canada Highway in the province. The Ferries connect from Channel Port-aux-Basques to North Sydney, Nova Scotia year-round, usually twice a day. The town was incorporated in 1945 and its population in the 2011 census was 4,170. Port aux Basques is the oldest of the collection of towns that make up the present-day town, which consists of Port aux Basques, Channel, Grand Bay, and Mouse Island. Amalgamation took place in the 1970s.

This was a fishing station for the French, Portuguese and Basques since the early 1500's and was named by the Basque fishermen who used this as a shelter in storms and a base for their fishing and exploration Channel-Port aux Basques, which is an ice-free port facing the Gulf of St. Lawrence, made it the logical choice for the western terminus of the Newfoundland Railway, which ran from the Avalon Peninsula to the Exploits River by 1893 and was extended in 1898 to Channel - Port aux Basques to connect with a steamer that would connect with the railway schedule, three days a week. The southwestern portion of the Trans-Canada lies in the Coastal Barrens eco-zone, with much exposed rock covered with fragile lichens in high areas and bog and heath in shallow areas (where they can accumulate to a depth of 2 to 20 feet. Forests in the sheltered valleys protect growths of blueberries, as well as ptarmigans and partridges. In the marshy areas, you can find tasty marshberries and bakeapples, as well as flowering plants like the sundew and bladderworts, and carnivorous plants like the pitcher plant (the provincial flower). Caribou are attracted to the lichen as well as kelp lying along the shoreline.

The west end of the Island is secured by the Long Range of mountains, which continues north to St Anthony's near the Labrador coastline. Near Port aux Basques is the 518 metres (1680 foot) Table Mountain, has had measured winds of over 160 km/hr. At Barchois Provinical Park, you can see caribou, the rare Newfoundland pine marten, chipmunks, six species of woodpeckers, as well as several species of orchids. The Grand Codroy River, is the southernmost salmon river crossing the Trans-Canada, with the annual migration in early June, well before other salmon rivers in the province.
Home | Grand Bay
Stacks Image 136